Sunday, May 31, 2009

modern zeus

Last night we had a lightning storm and I got up to unplug all our surge protectors from the walls of the apartment. THen I opened the blinds so that I could watch the flashes from bed. THe tree outside lit at various blue angles.
So I got this great idea. A comic set in the 1800's where zeus is unhappy about his lack of importance in collective thought. So he goes and frees Prometheus ( but I prefer the idea that there is some backstory where Prometheus has already been freed, cause there is way too much torture in our literature right now) so anyway he goes to Prometheus and is like "What can I do to get back into the human imagination?" and Prometheus gives him this it is what it is speech about how Zeus treated humanity as lesser beings just because he could and how when humanity managed to forget about him, the were happy about it because he was nothing but a thorn in their side. Prometheus explains that if Zeus really wants worship, then he should do something for humanity that they would enjoy. Zeus says that he doesn't know what humans want and that is why he has come to Prometheus. So somehow they come to the conclusion that Zeus should go and talk to Hermes about it, but only after Zeus has recived a sense of humility.

So Zeus comes to Hermes and is like "Hey Hermes! I need you to give a message to the humans that I want to give them what the want, I want to help." but Hermes kinda laughs because even if Zeus's message had actual substance, he still wouldn't really be able to delivere it.
"You want a message to humanity huh?" Hermes laughs, " Then I suggest you start writing your little thank-you cards now. I can't just deliver one message to humanity, you have been disinterested for a long time. The human population has crawled all over the globe."

Zeus thinks about this problem in reference to his powers and somehow comes up with the telegraph.

I gotta go read the wikipedia article on samuel morris now, but it seems like this would be a fun comic booky alternate history for the human use of electricity.

No comments: